THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Just got a 230i. Why is the brake pedal sooo soft?? And how do I fix it?

09-20-2024, 01:40 AM   #1
soilent
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i M Sport

Just got a 230i. Why is the brake pedal sooo soft?? And how do I fix it?

And how do I fix it? This car has the most sensitive brakes of any car I've ever driven and it's the one thing I largely dislike about driving the vehicle. I can literally rest the weight of my toe on the brake pedal and it's enough to make the car dive forward. What can I do to fix this and get a firmer/heavier feel? It's actually making city driving (which is basically all I do) rather unenjoyable, and I bought this car so I could enjoy driving again! Can I turn down the brake booster or something? Get stainless lines? Give me some ideas. These brakes are driving me crazy!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2024, 04:51 AM   #2
Fraysa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

What car did you drive before?

Some cars have more sensitive brakes than others.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2024, 07:00 AM   #3
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

My 2017, 230 has excellent brakes. Maybe it's the pads and the N'orleans humidity. A previous owner may have installed some 'magical' pads. OEM pads may fix it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2024, 07:52 AM   #4
kz1000
Mensch
Rep
Drives: 2021 230i 6mt

My '21 230i's brakes are firm and progressive. When I changed rear pads @ 35K miles & front pads @ 40K miles, I didn't need rotors.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2024, 09:02 AM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilent View Post
And how do I fix it? This car has the most sensitive brakes of any car I've ever driven and it's the one thing I largely dislike about driving the vehicle. I can literally rest the weight of my toe on the brake pedal and it's enough to make the car dive forward. What can I do to fix this and get a firmer/heavier feel? It's actually making city driving (which is basically all I do) rather unenjoyable, and I bought this car so I could enjoy driving again! Can I turn down the brake booster or something? Get stainless lines? Give me some ideas. These brakes are driving me crazy!
You seem to be describing the initial bite of the brake pads. Check to see if they are OEM or replacements. As Shovelman mentioned above, bringing them back to OEM if they have been changed may be a solution. Stainless lines are not the issue and would likely only exacerbate the issue as without expansion of the lines, hydraulic pressure would be transmitted even more quickly (although likely such a minor difference, you might not notice).
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-20-2024 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2024, 10:29 AM   #6
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I rarely get to drive our F22 (E39 is my daily) but when I do the first few stops are like you describe - I'm ready for my face to go through the windshield! You get used to it.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2024, 11:45 AM   #7
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

I think it's the difference in initial bite of oe vs a ceramic pad. My 230i has OE pads and they bite. (dust is bad). I put Akebono's on my 128i and it's quite different. Not much initial bite, especially when cold.

Not going to change the 230i pads until they wear, but I think I like the less dust less initial bite of the Akebono's.
      09-21-2024, 11:00 PM   #8
soilent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You seem to be describing the initial bite of the brake pads. Check to see if they are OEM or replacements. As Shovelman mentioned above, bringing them back to OEM if they have been changed may be a solution. Stainless lines are not the issue and would likely only exacerbate the issue as without expansion of the lines, hydraulic pressure would be transmitted even more quickly (although likely such a minor difference, you might not notice).
Yes, the initial bite is what gets me. It's not so much that it grabs so hard, it's just that it takes almost no pressure to get them to grab. I feel like I have to drive so gingerly around town so I don't snap my neck, and it's almost impossible to get a smooth stop. They have like 60% of the grab in the first 1 inch or travel and it only takes two pounds of pressure to get them there.

I just bought this car used from the dealer and I know they did a brake flush. Is it possible they put too much fluid and/or didn't bleed the lines? I'm not exaggerating when I say I only need to rest my toe on the pedal to get it to bite hard.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2024, 11:02 PM   #9
soilent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I think it's the difference in initial bite of oe vs a ceramic pad. My 230i has OE pads and they bite. (dust is bad). I put Akebono's on my 128i and it's quite different. Not much initial bite, especially when cold.

Not going to change the 230i pads until they wear, but I think I like the less dust less initial bite of the Akebono's.
Yeah, I bought the car used, but it only had 35k on it and one owner. I assume it's probably the stock pads, but they are starting to squeak already, so maybe I should get new pads. The dealer did a brake flush before I bought the car, is it possible they refilled the fluid incorrectly?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2024, 11:05 PM   #10
soilent
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraysa View Post
What car did you drive before?

Some cars have more sensitive brakes than others.

I've had 2016 and 2022 BRZ, and 2016 and 2022 Mazda 3. I also rented an M240i for a week about a year ago and do not recall the brakes being this sensitive. All of my other cars had a much firmer and more progressive brake pedal. This car by far has the most sensitive brakes I've ever felt and it takes next to no pressure to get them to bite HARD.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2024, 07:27 PM   #11
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Sounds like something is definitely wrong with your braking system. Take it to you favorite mechanic and have the issue properly diagnosed. All we can give you are opinions and our experiences but your issue could be different.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2024, 10:53 PM   #12
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilent View Post
Yeah, I bought the car used, but it only had 35k on it and one owner. I assume it's probably the stock pads, but they are starting to squeak already, so maybe I should get new pads. The dealer did a brake flush before I bought the car, is it possible they refilled the fluid incorrectly?
Yep probably are stock pads given the low mileage. You have any way to drive another 230i of same age or get someone who knows how BMW's brakes feel to drive yours? If you are not used to the initial bite of stock pads and rotors, it might feel wrong.
      Today, 06:47 AM   #13
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Most likely a problem with the pads or discs. Can't see how it could be a fluid problem.
Appreciate 0