THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Intake and down pipe suggestions?

09-17-2024, 09:55 PM   #1
Coupsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Intake and down pipe suggestions?

I've been on a bit of a shopping spree for my 40k basically stock M235i and I'm looking to complete the pile of parts before I tear the car apart. M performance exhaust is already installed

Mad stepped core HD FMIC
M4 take off front strut brace and carbon brace
M2 oil pan/pumps
034 crank seal guard and trans mounts
Sonnax ZF 8hp45 valve body tune up.
Quaife LSD
D088 inlet and FMIC to tbody tubes
VRSF high flow catted downpipe

I've been reading everything I can find but many of the intake reviews/suggestions don't specifically address the carbon brace clearance. What intakes have you guys used on single turbo N55s that clear the carbonfiber brace?

Has anyone installed stiffer differential bushings, and if you have, what are the NVH effects? I'm considering just using inserts in the stock bushings, but I'm doing the rebuild myself so it's a simple enough thing to work over the bushings at the same time.

My goal is to make a track demon that isn't going to drive me crazy on the road.

I'm sure I've forgotten something but thanks for reading.

Last edited by Coupsoup; 09-19-2024 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: Updated with some new parts and removed solved questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2024, 11:11 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

not sure about what intake will clear the carbon brace, but the BMS does not use a heat shield so its a safe option for what you are looking for

lots of good charge pipes on the market, if you want the best value, get the MAD charge pipe, if you want the best quality, get the evolution racewerks

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2024, 10:09 PM   #3
Coupsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

Updated OP with new parts and removed answered questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 07:40 AM   #4
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

CTS or RK Tune intake - MST V2 or BMS inlet.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2024, 10:11 AM   #5
Coupsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

I really like the Rk but since the car is meant for the track I'm worried about covering up the radiator so I'll likely go for the CTS.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 10:17 AM   #6
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupsoup View Post
I really like the Rk but since the car is meant for the track I'm worried about covering up the radiator so I'll likely go for the CTS.
Is your car an automatic? I haven't seen any issues with the RK Tune and over heating - one guy on the M2 side didn't either when he was tracking.

But I thoroughly enjoyed my CTS intake, you really can't go wrong.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 11:29 AM   #7
Coupsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is he running an OG m2? Got a link?

The reason I'm asking is the carbon brace clearance.

Last edited by Coupsoup; 09-19-2024 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2024, 07:41 AM   #8
Dom147
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I'm pretty sure the stock intake will clear the carbon brace. Fritz Ramos on youtube does it. Other forum members report the NVH from getting stiffer diff bushings is very noticeable. I probably owuld stay away from getting anything higher than 90A.

While you're down there, I would do solid rear subframe bushings. hardly any NVH increase but a huge increase in performance.

How come a quaife LSD over a wavetrac?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2024, 11:47 AM   #9
Coupsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

I really like the fully geared setup, and alittle novelty is cool. I've built hundreds of differentials in my time but I've never built an ATB style differential.

Considering all the reading I did i'm surprised wavetrac got by me honestly. Just read up on them, seem pretty good.

Might have to look into them a bit more.

As far as the intake goes, I'm not sold on the whole 'stock intake is good' argument. I think the proofs are out there that a well designed intake is better. I'm positive it will clear the brace, however, so I've ordered a panel filter for the time being, as well as modifying the stock box.
Appreciate 1
Dom147119.50
      09-20-2024, 10:31 PM   #10
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
I really like the fully geared setup, and alittle novelty is cool. I've built hundreds of differentials in my time but I've never built an ATB style differential.

Considering all the reading I did i'm surprised wavetrac got by me honestly. Just read up on them, seem pretty good.

As far as the intake goes, I'm not sold on the whole 'stock intake is good' argument. I think the proofs are out there that a well designed intake is better. I'm positive it will clear the brace, however, so I've ordered a panel filter for the time being, as well as modifying the stock box.
If you shove a 3 inch hole saw through the front of the lower air box it magically becomes a m2 air box for free
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2024, 10:40 PM   #11
Coupsoup
Enlisted Member
Rep

My thoughts exactly!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #12
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Is he running an OG m2? Got a link?

The reason I'm asking is the carbon brace clearance.
Yes.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=RK+tunes
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:34 PM   #13
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Perfect place to start - I strongly suggest the inlet though, it really does make a difference.
Appreciate 0