THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum OG M2 or M235

08-28-2024, 03:22 PM   #1
Neusser
Captain
Rep
Drives: G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Question OG M2 or M235

So I've taken a job that will require me to start commuting again, rather than work from the comfort of my sofa.

As a result, am looking at two options for a second car. Need something smallish (enough room for occasional drives with two adults and a 10-year-old kid), reliable, and fun.

Don't want FWD or Haldex, so the only real options over here in Germany are an M2 or M235/240 ('vert. in this case)

I currently have a B58 (which I love) in a 540i, so was thinking of trying an N55 in the commuter.

What is reliability and running costs like on these, and is the M2 appreciably worse in any area?

Not too worried about gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 07:51 AM   #2
zoro2001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
I've owned my 2014 235i for 3 years now. Got it with 32k miles on it, now has 61k. Change oil every 5k. After market charge pipe/metal and coolant overflow hose(as soon as I bought it).

Not a problem with anything yet. Around 55k I started doing maintenance,
Coolant drain and fill
Rear Diff drain and fill
Tranny-drain fill/new filter
Replace plastic mickey mouse flange/metal

Still on the list to do is spark plugs.

Around 70k-80k I'll refresh the cooling system. I do at least 1 3-4k mile road trip a year in my car, it hasn't let me down yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 09:44 AM   #3
BringBackButtons
Smart Enough to Scan for Codes First
Rep
Drives: F23 M235i 6MT

I dont think the og m2 is the better commuting experience, having only driven a 240 and 235 however, this is just gathered information and not 1st hand experience.

I find the n55 a rather awesome bang for buck engine. And while yes b58 is newer and better in a lot of regards, that doesnt always dictate the driving experience. It is heavier, not much, but there ya go. It didnt give me option for manual rwd or awd on m235 (https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/2-s...e_2015/374036)

2017 M240i cabrio rwd Weight Information
Base Curb Weight (pounds)

2015 m235i cabrio
Weight Information

I champion for bmw a lot, but just playing cards, it truly probably isnt the only option available. Alpine 110 available? Does it need to be cabrio?

Good luck!

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 12:48 PM   #4
Mike F.
Nobody in particular
Rep
Drives: '20 M240i

For what it's worth, I remember the Car and Driver review of the M2 stating that the ride was a bit rough for a daily commuter and that they thought the 240 might be a better choice for that. That has to depend on your own willingness to tolerate the rough ride in return for the sharper handling. In my case, I'd probably be ok with it, but my wife most definitely would not!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 12:56 PM   #5
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Been daily commuting my m240i for a couple years. I made some suspension changes to make it more fun and less soft.

Going the other way with making an M2 more soft seems silly.

Appearance wise, the M2 will always win of course... You would need to test drive both to see which you prefer.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 03:46 PM   #6
Neusser
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackButtons View Post
I dont think the og m2 is the better commuting experience, having only driven a 240 and 235 however, this is just gathered information and not 1st hand experience.

I find the n55 a rather awesome bang for buck engine. And while yes b58 is newer and better in a lot of regards, that doesnt always dictate the driving experience. It is heavier, not much, but there ya go. It didnt give me option for manual rwd or awd on m235 (https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/2-s...e_2015/374036)

2017 M240i cabrio rwd Weight Information

2015 m235i cabrio
Weight Information

I champion for bmw a lot, but just playing cards, it truly probably isnt the only option available. Alpine 110 available? Does it need to be cabrio?

Good luck!
I'd love an Alpine, but not sure it is practical enough. We really need a usable back seat for times when the three of us need to use the car.

I don't have to have the cabrio, but it adds another dimension to the car, and my kid would be over the moon with it.

Anyways, I suspect that regardless of what comes, I will be in a 2er of some sort, and that ain't bad news.

Thx all.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 05:52 PM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Been daily commuting my m240i for a couple years. I made some suspension changes to make it more fun and less soft.

Going the other way with making an M2 more soft seems silly.
What you'd do with an M2 is install quality coilovers (e.g., MCS) along with spring rates appropriate to your needs. That wouldn't make the ride necessarily more soft, but instead more compliant, even with the noticeably higher spring rates.

Knowing I'd do that (and more) with an M2 is why I chose to buy an M240 (at $10K off MSRP) and roll my own.
      08-29-2024, 05:56 PM   #8
BringBackButtons
Rep

Oh i hear you on the cabrio....its why i got my m235i 6mt this way!! Ultimate date night daily fun car.

*that isnt 911 $$$ or mustang vibes
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 04:55 PM   #9
Neusser
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh i hear you on the cabrio....its why i got my m235i 6mt this way!! Ultimate date night daily fun car.

*that isnt 911 $$$ or mustang vibes
Ah, so you have a cabrio...

What do you think of the drive vs. the coupe? Do you notice the reduced chassis stiffness? This would be an issue for me, as much as I'd like the occasional open top.

Do you find the handling sharp enough?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2024, 09:19 PM   #10
BringBackButtons
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
Ah, so you have a cabrio...

What do you think of the drive vs. the coupe? Do you notice the reduced chassis stiffness? This would be an issue for me, as much as I'd like the occasional open top.

Do you find the handling sharp enough?
Yep, cabrio but my input is jaded, sorry.

So, theres no doubt the coupe is stiffer when pushed beyond 7 or 8/10s or very uneven road surfaces...and subjectively, yes the cabrio naturaly suffers from SOME flex...but i bought my car not stock and i do not drive my often enough at or beyond that threshold to comment enough, sorry.

I could list my modifications my car has but thats not the point. The point is, will 2/10s rob you of x/10s (not sure how often you will get to 7 or 8/10s) of your driving experience or skill? Only one way to find out for you. If you go in looking for the fault, you will highlight them imo so best just drive and decide yourself if possible.

If you remove the top down fun factor out of equation, i think for a 4 season daily, a coupe is the better option for a skilled enough enthusiast. For me and my setup I have, its the perfect combination of sexy, sharp, and fun for 2+ 1.5 ( the dog comes sometimes too).

Wish i could help more there
Appreciate 1
Neusser711.00
      08-31-2024, 04:03 PM   #11
Neusser
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yep, cabrio but my input is jaded, sorry.

So, theres no doubt the coupe is stiffer when pushed beyond 7 or 8/10s or very uneven road surfaces...and subjectively, yes the cabrio naturaly suffers from SOME flex...but i bought my car not stock and i do not drive my often enough at or beyond that threshold to comment enough, sorry.

I could list my modifications my car has but thats not the point. The point is, will 2/10s rob you of x/10s (not sure how often you will get to 7 or 8/10s) of your driving experience or skill? Only one way to find out for you. If you go in looking for the fault, you will highlight them imo so best just drive and decide yourself if possible.

If you remove the top down fun factor out of equation, i think for a 4 season daily, a coupe is the better option for a skilled enough enthusiast. For me and my setup I have, its the perfect combination of sexy, sharp, and fun for 2+ 1.5 ( the dog comes sometimes too).

Wish i could help more there
It will largely see road use with me. Perhaps an occasional trip to the 'Ring, but not much more.

I have not driven either car at this point, so was curious for feedback from an actual owner. I watched an AutotopNL review (great for BMWs), and they said the flex was immediately noticible.

Regardless, I think I am leaning toward the cabrio.

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 09:39 PM   #12
Nickies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
It will largely see road use with me. Perhaps an occasional trip to the 'Ring, but not much more.

I have not driven either car at this point, so was curious for feedback from an actual owner. I watched an AutotopNL review (great for BMWs), and they said the flex was immediately noticible.

Regardless, I think I am leaning toward the cabrio.

Thx.
Keep in mind that the rear seat is mostly unusable in either model if you want the driver and front passenger to be comfortable and the access to the rear is not easy.

You better drive both before making a decision.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 10:09 PM   #13
BringBackButtons
Rep

Well...about that...

The cabrio is actually MORE usable if driving an automatic. Way easier to get in and out of if the top is down and you dont need worry about the clutch distance 😁 You could go to ikea and buy a book shelf and drive home with it better than most SUVs being sold!

The manual...different story.

I would say for the size of the 2 series, both my 5 foot wife and my 5 foot 5 daughter fit just fine with me driving.

Again, I "sit behind" (not stand behind..
bad dad joke sorry...) that the 2 series is just fine as a 2 + 1.5. If that .5 is a smaller dog or really, really nicely small adolescent.

Pish posh, he will drive one and figure out. Go! Go drive! Enjoy! Report back after wine and thinking. Or buy a masserati quatrapoete cabrio! Whered the rest of my beer go... i swear i had mo....
Appreciate 1
Neusser711.00
      09-01-2024, 04:22 PM   #14
Neusser
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well...about that...

The cabrio is actually MORE usable if driving an automatic. Way easier to get in and out of if the top is down and you dont need worry about the clutch distance �� You could go to ikea and buy a book shelf and drive home with it better than most SUVs being sold!

The manual...different story.

I would say for the size of the 2 series, both my 5 foot wife and my 5 foot 5 daughter fit just fine with me driving.

Again, I "sit behind" (not stand behind..
bad dad joke sorry...) that the 2 series is just fine as a 2 + 1.5. If that .5 is a smaller dog or really, really nicely small adolescent.

Pish posh, he will drive one and figure out. Go! Go drive! Enjoy! Report back after wine and thinking. Or buy a masserati quatrapoete cabrio! Whered the rest of my beer go... i swear i had mo....

My son is only 10, so if your daughter fits at that height with no real issues, then I think the cabrio may be the ticket.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2024, 11:13 AM   #15
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
Keep in mind that the rear seat is mostly unusable in either model if you want the driver and front passenger to be comfortable and the access to the rear is not easy.
I disagree about the rear seat. I got one when my daughter was 3 (now she's 9). Never had a problem buckling her in the backseat when she needed a car seat and she has no problem getting in the back now. I'm 6'2" and oftentimes have people in the backseats. And we've taken the family on long road trips without issue. The 2 Series may look small but there's a lot of space inside and the trunk is larger than you'd think.
Appreciate 1
Neusser711.00
      09-19-2024, 08:17 AM   #16
ajbM4cab
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab / M240 Cab / X4MC

Garage List
The 2 series cab is a great car. Very compact with a great wraparound feeling for the driver. Almost go-cart like. At least when compared to my F83C or X4MC which can feel a bit oversized for the driver. If anyone else has both you will know what I mean.
Roof down and with the rear wind deflector fitted and up it can feel like a 2-seater.

I also looked at the M2 as an alternative but I always viewed them as different cars.
It was mostly the overall drivers comfort & the cab option that swung it for me. The 2 series compact size was already agreed and decided upon.
Also preferred the B58 and ZF8.
Maybe if there was a M2 cab available I would have chosen different.

As with most cars you will probably always notice the additional cab weight and body flex when reviewed against its coupe counterpart.
However when reviewed on its own as a standalone it is probably not so noticeable. With the roof down on a sunny day ours is a great drive. Exhaust note heard at its best.

We have a mineral white / coral red 2019 M240i RWD UK spec.
Great car and dosent fail to deliver when pushed. Ours is standard OEM throughout and will never be tracked.
To be fair, I don’t think I’m a good enough driver to push it to any limits. The performance available is excellent.
The auto ZF8 is also seamless. Had this gearbox in many configurations and cannot think of a better auto unit.

Space wise never had any issue.
Our car is mostly my wife’s daily.
My wife previously had a F23 218i Msport cab for 4 years so this was to be a simple step up to the M240 version of the same vehicle.
Or so we thought, as the M240 guise is so much better. Body stiffness / steering / B58 which all leaps out way ahead of the 218 version. Feels so much different and well planted.
Yes the back seat is very upright but so is the rear in my M4 cab. These 2 and 4 cabs are generally 2 plus 2 cars anyhow. Bit more legroom in the M4 but similar comfort and access.
My 19 year old daughter and her friend regularly jump in for lifts here and there. Smaller children would be fine.

The running costs are fine for us. 3000miles per year max. Circa 22-24mpg as all generally relaxed local town driving.
In contrast my son only gets 32MPG from a 1 litre ford as again all local town driving.
Therefore we Probably pay £200 a year more to fuel the M240 than the ford.
Again All relative to your own driving distance and conditions.

Get one in the M Performance guise and they look real good.
Appreciate 3
Dom147119.50
Neusser711.00
E46ZHP254.00
      09-20-2024, 04:31 PM   #17
Neusser
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbM4cab View Post
The 2 series cab is a great car. Very compact with a great wraparound feeling for the driver. Almost go-cart like. At least when compared to my F83C or X4MC which can feel a bit oversized for the driver. If anyone else has both you will know what I mean.
Roof down and with the rear wind deflector fitted and up it can feel like a 2-seater.

I also looked at the M2 as an alternative but I always viewed them as different cars.
It was mostly the overall drivers comfort & the cab option that swung it for me. The 2 series compact size was already agreed and decided upon.
Also preferred the B58 and ZF8.
Maybe if there was a M2 cab available I would have chosen different.

As with most cars you will probably always notice the additional cab weight and body flex when reviewed against its coupe counterpart.
However when reviewed on its own as a standalone it is probably not so noticeable. With the roof down on a sunny day ours is a great drive. Exhaust note heard at its best.

We have a mineral white / coral red 2019 M240i RWD UK spec.
Great car and dosent fail to deliver when pushed. Ours is standard OEM throughout and will never be tracked.
To be fair, I don’t think I’m a good enough driver to push it to any limits. The performance available is excellent.
The auto ZF8 is also seamless. Had this gearbox in many configurations and cannot think of a better auto unit.

Space wise never had any issue.
Our car is mostly my wife’s daily.
My wife previously had a F23 218i Msport cab for 4 years so this was to be a simple step up to the M240 version of the same vehicle.
Or so we thought, as the M240 guise is so much better. Body stiffness / steering / B58 which all leaps out way ahead of the 218 version. Feels so much different and well planted.
Yes the back seat is very upright but so is the rear in my M4 cab. These 2 and 4 cabs are generally 2 plus 2 cars anyhow. Bit more legroom in the M4 but similar comfort and access.
My 19 year old daughter and her friend regularly jump in for lifts here and there. Smaller children would be fine.

The running costs are fine for us. 3000miles per year max. Circa 22-24mpg as all generally relaxed local town driving.
In contrast my son only gets 32MPG from a 1 litre ford as again all local town driving.
Therefore we Probably pay £200 a year more to fuel the M240 than the ford.
Again All relative to your own driving distance and conditions.

Get one in the M Performance guise and they look real good.
Useful info. Thx.
Appreciate 0